Five Quotes from Gary Winogrand which teach us about photography:
- Photography is about finding out what can happen in the frame. When you put four edges around some facts, you change those facts.
- You have a lifetime to learn technique. But I can teach you what is more important than technique; how to see; learn that and all you have to do afterwards is press the shutter.
- Photographers mistake the emotion they feel while taking the photo as a judgement that their photo is good.
- For me the true business of photography is to capture a bit of reality (whatever that is ) on film …if later the reality means something to someone else, so much the better.
- I like to think of photography as a two way act of respect. Respect for the medium, by letting it do what it does best, describe. And respect for the subject, by describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible for both.